Western Governors University
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
IT Service Desk Supervisor
at Western Governors University
**This position is open to current WGU employees only**
You should have two to four years of IT job experience and/or IT schooling. As a supervisor, you will have the ability to handle more complex calls and call escalations. You will also determine the severity of specific issues. In this position, you will interpret problems, and you will supervise and support team leads, tier-1 and tier-2 technical support agents, and site-support technicians. You will answer telephone calls (as needed), analyze problems by using automated diagnostic programs, and resolve recurring difficulties.
You will respond to telephone calls and email messages from customers (internal and external) looking for help with computer problems, software problems, and problems escalated from tier-1 and tier-2 agents, team leads and other supervisors. In responding to these inquiries, you must listen carefully to the customers and tier-1 and tier-2 agents, ask questions to diagnose the nature of the problem, and then patiently assist as needed.
You will also deal directly with upper management for reporting your team’s performance and efficiencies. As a supervisor, you will be consulted for information about what gives customers the most trouble, as well as other customer concerns, and represent those concerns to the IT Service Desk Manager.
You will constantly interact with customers, staff, and fellow employees as you answer questions and give advice. You will normally work about 40 hours a week, but if computer support is required over extended hours, you may be on call for rotating evening or weekend work.
As a supervisor, you must have good communication skills and be able to communicate effectively on paper, via email, over the phone, and in person. Strong writing skills are a must in preparing communication for employees, staff, and customers.
You may advance into positions that allow you to use your IT career experiences with customers to improve the design and efficiency of future products. Job promotions usually depend more on performance than on formal education.
Critical Action Items:
- Applies knowledge and skills when handling complex problems and coordinating work which may extend beyond own area of expertise
- Advocates for the team and team members to upper management
- Attends meetings
- Passes on what was learned by generating self-service content, such as knowledgebase articles, training documents or videos, or other self-service training content
- Submits reports to the IT Service Desk Manager and upper management
- Organizes and conducts meetings
- Queries tickets, monitors call trends, and provides organized reports
- Manages and resolves conflicts
- Manages problems
- Ensures that each member of the team understands objectives
- Ensures that all specifications are met through thorough ticket documentation
- Explains difficult concepts to a variety of audiences and ensures that these audiences understand the concepts
- Improves defect prevention, product development efficiency, and quality
- Trains and supports the tier-1 and tier-2 agents who serve as the first-point-of-contact for customers
- Answers inbound and places outbound calls to customers and other staff (as needed)
- Supports local and remote team leads, other supervisors, and tier-1 and tier-2 agents
- Applies knowledge of and experience with routine technological concepts in systems and network troubleshooting
- Coordinates service calls on onsite leased equipment
- Manages work orders through service desk ticketing systems as needed.
- Tracks team performance and ensures that team members adhere to company policies, including attendance and punctuality
- Sees that goals are set and achieved
- Trains team member to be self-directed and to effectively use their time
- Troubleshoots and resolves trouble tickets in a timely manner
- Verifies issue resolution on the customer’s and staff’s behalf
- Verifies with the customer that the issue has been resolved and updates the ticketing system
- Creates formal networks internally and externally
- Documents, tracks, and communicates call trends and possible solutions
- Effectively works with other teams to escalate and assist in problem resolution
- Maintains knowledgebase articles
- Provides performance reviews and recommends raises
- Taps into the collective IQ of the team
- Understands the skills and knowledge of team members
- Understands the team’s objectives
- Acts as a source of technical expertise to others in own area
- Instills company values and ensures that policies align with them
- Articulates roles and responsibilities
- Manages and solves problems
- Recommends program improvements or revisions to programmers and business analysts
- Develops, applies, and maintains quality standards for IT Service Desk
- Supervises team, including having responsibility over hiring, firing, and discipline
- Drives change, fosters team spirit, and builds a winning team
- Oversees department standards and mentors all employees
- Monitors team performance and efficiency
- Reports metrics, team performance, and other statuses
- Performs other job duties as assigned
- Ability to work independently and in a dynamic environment
- Strong communication, interpersonal, and analytical skills
- Ability and desire to provide excellent customer-service to internal and external customers
- Working knowledge of MS operating systems and applications
- Ability to work side by side with other supervisors and leaders in the organization to achieve excellence